Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Catholic convert (from Protestantism) in love with Jesus and the Church He founded. I'm married to Forrest, an amazing man who has made quite a journey with me, following God, and we are blessed with six precious children.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Me, an ape?

I don't know whether it's technically legal or not to copy paragraphs from wikipedia, but I'll take a chance...

I was curious if it was incorrect (as I've heard) to refer to chimps as monkeys (and it is--they're apes) and realized that we humans are currently classified by zoologists as great apes! Came across a funny paragraph on the page on apes:

"Human beings are the only ape recognized as persons and protected in law by the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights[11] and by all governments, though to varying degrees. Chimpanzees, Gorillas and Orangutans are not classified as persons, which means that where their interests intersect with that of humans they have no legal status."

It's a little crazy and hilarious to me that scientists still believe in evolution as accepted and proven. There's a bit on that page, too, about how many don't accept classification of humans as apes because it was not until a few decades ago that we were thought to have common ancestry.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home